[ofw] What is the current support level for QoS in WinOF?

Diego Guella diego.guella at sircomtech.com
Wed Mar 25 04:08:19 PDT 2009

Hi Hal,

>From: "Hal Rosenstock"
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 5:03 AM, Diego Guella wrote:
>> I forgot to mention: I am using plain verbs. (Actually, I'm using IBAL).
>> Connection estabilishment is done like in the ibv_pingpong_rc examples:
>> communicating LID, QPN, ... data over sockets.
>
> Then this support may be sufficient for you given you have a way to set SL.
>
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 5:03 AM, Diego Guella wrote:
>> I forgot to mention that I am new to QoS too.
>> I think I can achieve urgent vs non-urgent traffic distinction by using 2
>> QPs, and setting different SLs to these QPs, in the INIT->RTR transition.
>> Are there other ways to "mark" some traffic as high-priority vs
>> low-priority?
>
> SL is the way. It can be set in different ways based on the connection
> type. For RC, it is bound to the QP.
>
> The key will be setting the QoS parameters appropriately for your traffic.

Ok, so I will be setting qos_max_vls, qos_high_limit, qos_vlarb_low, qos_vlarb_high, qos_sl2vl, like in the qos-config.txt doc.
Just for confirmation, should I put those settings in Tools/opensm.opts file ?

> One more note: QoS is supported on only certain hardware. You will
> likely need to check with your vendor as to what hardware is
> supported.

Exactly.
I have MHES14-XTC and MHGA28-XTC cards now.
Seeking through the ML archive, it seems only ConnectX from Mellanox have QoS capabilities.

I want to be sure of 2 things before buying a new expensive card:
1. Opensm support in WinOF - You are saying the basic support it has can be sufficient for my needs.
2. Can someone from Mellanox confirm that all ConnectX cards have QoS capabilities? Even when used in WinOF?

Thanks for your help,
Diego