[ofw] WinOF IPoIB fails with a subnet prefix other than the default

David McMillen davem at systemfabricworks.com
Sat May 9 21:25:51 PDT 2009

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Sean Hefty <sean.hefty at intel.com> wrote:

> >If I change the subnet prefix to something like 2001000000000000 then I
> never
> >get IPoIB connectivity.  Whatever is happening, sometimes the system
> becomes
> >highly unresponsive, and  it also leans hard on the Linux system running
> the
> >subnet manager, making it very sluggish.  My intention is to use a router,
> but
> >problem happens even with no router on the subnet.
>
> Unlike the Linux stack, I'm not aware of any work done on the WinOF stack
> support IB routers.  I'm not sure how much effort would be involved for
> this.

Thanks for the response, Sean.  It would be nice to see routing added to
WinOF, but that isn't what I'm trying to accomplish at the moment.

My big concern is to have WinOF systems attached to the same IB subnet as
Linux systems that are able to do routing.  In the immediate deployments I
am working on, the WinOF systems would only communicate with systems on the
local subnet.  It seems like WinOF should work with any subnet prefix, even
if it cannot support routing.

Maybe I have missed some setting that would let this work, which is why I'm
hoping this posting will attract somebody with experience using non-default
subnet prefixes.

Dave