[ofw] RE: skip ND components for IA64 ipoib driver load

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Mon May 11 15:20:03 PDT 2009

>ND depends on IPoIB for addressing/path resolution.

I thought it depending on ibat, which isn't exactly the same thing.  Winverbs
also uses this service, but doesn't install with ipoib.

>Where/how do you see it getting installed?

Short term, I think installing with IBAL makes more sense.

Longer term, I don't know that we want all userspace libraries and programs to
install with specific drivers, unless they really are related to those drivers.
A user should be able to install or update their userspace apps separately from
the drivers.  So, while winmad.dll is related to winmad.sys -- libibumad,
libibmad, and the ib-diags are not.

This isn't an argument against an all in one installer, but one for also
providing installers for separate components.  It is much more difficult to
replace kernel drivers in a production environment than the userspace libraries.