[ofw] RE: OpenSM 3.3.3 available for interested parties.

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Wed Nov 4 15:33:56 PST 2009

>I'd like to propose the following svn src file structure changes until the
>WinOF 2.3 time frame.
>
> trunk\ulp\opensm\user --> trunk\ulp\opensm\userO
> branches\opensm_3\user --> trunk\ulp\opensm\user
>
>Now we have
>    trunk\ulp\opensm\userO              current opensm version @ 3.0.0 base.
>    trunk\ulp\opensm\user               New opensm version # 3.3.3
>
>Additionally the SOURCES files in the trunk\ulp\opensm\userO\* would be
>modified to append the letter 'O' to the .exe filename to distinguish them from
>new version; examples:
>  opensmO.exe
>  osmtestO.exe
>  ibtrapgenO.exe
>
>This could be abbreviated to just building opensmo.exe.
>
>With the new 3.3.3 version of openSM the diffs between the latest OFED (3.3.3)
>and the Windows version are not so overwhelming and can be managed in place;
>point being the trunk\ulp\opensm\userO is a life-saver until full confidence is
>gained in the new opensm implementation.
>
>Your thoughts?

Egads, no.  If someone wants an old version of an executable, they can download
that specific version.  If someone needs old version of source code, that's why
we use a source repository.  SVN already supports checking out a previous commit
and using branches.  Delete trunk\ulp\opensm (make a branch first if desired)
and drop the new code in trunk\tools\opensm, where it probably should have gone
originally.  If you want to package multiple versions of opensm in some
distribution, that's fine, but don't rename the executable.  It's confusing and
breaks any shortcuts or scripts which may reference the program.  If the new
version of opensm is not ready, then keep it in a branch.