[ewg] Re: [ofw] SC'09 BOF - Meeting notes

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Mon Nov 23 11:17:49 PST 2009

 > RFC 3041 deals with static global IP addresses on the Internet,
 > especially for portable devices.
 > rmdaoe allows using link-local GIDs for applications residing on the
 > same subnet, so I don't see the relevance.

I guess you're right -- I was confused about when random addresses are
used for generating stateless autoconfig addresses, and I guess even
with RFC3041 they are not for link-local scope.  However, do you know of
anything in the IPv6 RFCs that guarantees that link-local IPv6 addresses
are generated using ethernet addresses?

 - R.