[ofw] generating traces in winverbs.sys

Smith, Stan stan.smith at intel.com
Tue Sep 1 13:31:21 PDT 2009

Prasanna Vv wrote:
> I am a seeing issue with loading of  winverbs.sys built in my  env.

Please describe 'issue'.
How are you loading winverbs?

> I built WOF2.1 winverbs.sys based on sources under
> WOF2-1\core\winverbs\kernel directory ("bldwo fre x86 2003") and
> replaced it in \windows\system32\drivers directory in WINOF 2.1
> install env.  After I reboot the system, i donot see \\\\.\\winverbs
> object getting created, which means the driver is not loaded properly.
>
> 2 obvious changes i see are:
>   - I used WDK 7600.16385.0, since this is the latest version
> available from MS.

Installers + IB stack built with this WDK version work fine.

>    - winverbs.sys built my me is 36K size, whereas the WINOF 2.1
> release winverbs.sys size is around 44K
>
> Please let me know if you have any clue on this issue.
> Also, is there is way to generate trace in winverbs.sys

Add EVENT_TRACING under debug build; see ulp\ipoib\kernel\* for an example.
Also consider WPP software tracing @ MSDN for details.
Mlx4_* drivers have system event log write routines wired into printk(). Some heavy lifting required although could be useful.