[ofw] Mlx4 driver support

Smith, Stan stan.smith at intel.com
Wed Sep 2 14:37:15 PDT 2009

Leonid Keller wrote:
>> One reason is to allow install to finish.
>> When the driver goes at livefish mode it doesn't call create_pdo so
> windows doesn't know that a new driver has to be loaded.
> The last statement is not quite right. BUS driver creates all PDOs
> also in livefish mode (for the reason brought in the first statement).

If all PDOs are created then why can't Windows PNP find a device match for the mlx4_hca driver?

> One can even run vstat - which works over IBAL, HCA and BUS - and get
> the status of the card (while in livefish mode)

Since the Windows PNP is unable to match mlx4_hca to any PNP device, mlx4_hca.inf is not processed.
Unfortunately complib.dll is part of mlx4_hca.inf and without complib loaded into system32\, vstat fails as it can't find complib.dll.
The 'trick' would be to cd into %ProgramFiles%\WinOF\drivers\mlx4_hca\ and then run vstat to get the PSID.
Most WinOF users would not immediately grasp this trickery...
Bottom line is a causual WinOF user could be faced with a WinOF install which claimed success, no IPoIB instances, no vstat and no immediate way to figure out the PSID.....unless of course they also knew that flint could tell them....
Hence the PSID in event log error message suggestion.

>> a nice touch for your HCA customers would be to add the PSID to the
> event log error message ...
> There is no real need in that.
> Customer has gotten the main idea - he has to burn another FW.
> It can be done with TOOLS package.
> One of the tools is flint, which can print PSID.

I suspect that not everyone on the planet knows that flint will print a PSID...although more know now.  :-)