[ofw] Re: [ofa-general] [RFC] 3/5: IB ACM: libibacm

Ira Weiny weiny2 at llnl.gov
Thu Sep 17 15:11:50 PDT 2009

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 14:49:50 -0700
"Sean Hefty" <sean.hefty at intel.com> wrote:

> >I'm not sure this is a good idea. ibutils (ibis and ibmgtsim) wants ib_types.h
> >but does not want libibumad.
>
> Well, libibumad is pretty useless without some network structure definitions.
> Currently, the alternatives are to install opensm, which also requires
> installing libibmad, libibcommon, and complib, or for the app to define what
> they need, which is what was done here.  I'm not sure how you pick up ib_types.h
> without libibumad getting installed, but you can make a reasonable argument that
> libibumad should define the MAD and SA attribute structures.

Actually, now that I think about it...  does ibutils depend on OpenSM then?  I would think that it would be better to have it depend on ibumad rather than OpenSM...

:-/  Ok I think I am starting to see why you mention this...  Does ibutils actually link with anything?  It looks like ibutils is using the inline functions to effectively make a "static" link to this functionality?  I don't see any dependencies on any libs in the Makefile.am's.  Is that correct?  :-/

In this case I don't know that it matters if we move the header.  However, it would matter if we moved the inline functions...

Does ibutils form it's own packets and open the mad devices on it's own, outside of ibumad?  From my quick look it seems it would have to.

Ira

--
Ira Weiny
Math Programmer/Computer Scientist