[ofw] What are the rev relationships between WinOF downloads at OpenFabrics vs. Mellanox?

Smith, Stan stan.smith at intel.com
Fri Sep 25 12:22:54 PDT 2009

Chris Worley wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Smith, Stan <stan.smith at intel.com>
> wrote:
>> Chris Worley wrote:
>>> OpenFabrics http://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/WinOF/ has the
>>> following revisions:
>>>
>>> 1.*
>>> 2.0
>>> 2.0.2
>>> 2.1rc*
>>
>> WinOF 2.1 (GA) General Availability will be released very soon!
>> If you are using WinOF, you want to use this version.
>>

>>> Mellanox at
>>> http://mellanox.com/content/pages.php?pg=products_dyn&product_family=32&menu_section=34#tab-two
>>> has:
>>>
>>> 2.0
>>> 2.0.3
>>> 2.0.5
>>> 2.0.6, beta
>>>
>>> Is there any relationship between the WinOF downloads at these
>>> sites?
>>
>> Mellanox ~mirrors the WinOF source tree internally and then adds
>> their 'value components' plus MSFT WHQLs the drivers to produce a
>> Mellanox 'Gold' release. Did I get that correct Leo?
>>
>> Point being Mellanox releases, along with other IB vendors, are
>> based on the WinOF sources.
>>
>> Internal and external testing demonstrates WinOF 2.1 (RC5) SRP
>> client on a single port connected to an OFED 1.4 SRP target works.
>
> I can't even install RC5.  It loads the QDR driver, hangs for about 10
> minutes, then says "premature end of install".  The system will then
> neither shut down nor start up... need to go into "safe mode" and
> remove the driver.
>
> Chris

"premature end of install" would indicate a bad download. Did you retry the download?

Do tell about your situation:
Which OS ?
Processor?
Mellanox HCA model number?
BTW, are you sure you have the latest Mellanox firmware installed?

Did you examine the Windows system event log?

Try 'start/wait msiexec /I WinOF_xxx_xxx.msi /Lv msi.log' and then view the log and see what's up; look for 'Error'.
Another place to look is %windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log.
BTW, all of the above is documented in the Release_notes.htm.

Stan.