[ofw] HCA Description field format differences between Windows & Linux?

Hefty, Sean sean.hefty at intel.com
Thu Jun 3 11:11:21 PDT 2010

> >> How do the Linux drivers set this?  Isn't there a local MAD you issue
> >> to the HCA to set the node description?
> >
> > I think linux reads this from a file.
>
> What I meant is, how does Linux program this into the HCA so that a request
> for node description returns the proper data?

My guess is part of the bring up scripts to load the drivers write a node description value to a file, which is seen by the HCA driver.

For example, on a system running kernel.org 2.6.34-rc7 the node_desc that I see is:

MT25208 InfiniHostEx Mellanox Technologies

If I write to the node_desc file, the description changes as expected.  However, if I unload then reload the driver, the node_desc is reset.

-Sean