[ofw] Loading Ibbus.sys

Fab Tillier ftillier at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 4 12:26:22 PST 2010

Sophia Germans wrote on Thu, 4 Mar 2010 at 12:09:19

> I am trying to load ibbus.sys for a physical hardware device, built
> privately. I am already in testmode to load our HCA host driver which
> has a test signature. But I understand that, since we don't install
> drivers from a single package, we cannot use the same test signature
> for ib stack.

Why aren't you building the whole stack yourself?  Ibbus should be listed in your INF file as an upper filter for your HCA driver.

> Did you encounter any specific problem using
> IoRegisterPlugplaynotification  that made you to move to a new
> registration mechanism via IRP_MN_QUERY_INTERFACE (rdma verbs guid
> interface) ?

There used to be a virtual device for ibbus, but it created difficult to manage dependencies between the HCA device node and the ibbus device node - you'd have device A (ibbus) creating child devices for device B (HCA), that device B then reports to the system.  Having ibbus as an upper filter, especially since it creates child device nodes for the HCA, makes much more sense.

-Fab