[ofw] IPoIB in OFED-W

Smith, Stan stan.smith at intel.com
Fri May 14 12:44:09 PDT 2010

________________________________
From: ofw-bounces at lists.openfabrics.org [mailto:ofw-bounces at lists.openfabrics.org] On Behalf Of John Russo
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2010 11:46 AM
To: ofw at lists.openfabrics.org
Subject: [ofw] IPoIB in OFED-W
In the current 2.2 branch the IPoIB makefile is written to avoid building for versions of Windows later than Server 2003. I assume this is because it is written for NDIS 5.x. There is another module called ipoib_cm that builds ipoib.sys and appears to be NDIS 6 compatible.  Is this the correct one for Windows 2008?  Also, the name infers connected mode which really confuses me.

Yes, your assumptions are mostly correct - both flavors of ipoib build ipoib.sys in their respective bin\kernel\ obj*_*_* folders.

ulp\ipoib                      --> NDIS 5    Svr2003 & XP
ulp\ipoib_NDIS6_CM    --> NDIS 6     Vista, Svr 2008, Win7 (Svr2008 R2)

What should we be building to run IPoIB (UD mode) for Windows 2008?   NDIS6 aka ulp\ipoib_NDIS6_CM, as NDIS6 is a svr 2008 WHQL requirement.

The _CM indicates this code base 'eventually' will support 'Connected Mode' as it's based on the QLogic IPoIB CM work done by Alex E. in days gone by. The default mode of operation is UD for now. Once I get some free cycles I will be start reviving the CM mode of operation.

stan.

[cid:113063219 at 14052010-2588]
John F. Russo
Engineering Manager