[ofw] SRP Multipathing in Windows

Chris Worley worleys at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 14:56:00 PDT 2010

Using WinOF 2.3 RC3 (and the released 2.2) in W2K8R2 and SCST r1934 on
RHEL 5.5 kernel 2.6.18-194.3.1.el5...

With two target and two initiator ports all connected to one switch,
and all drives in the
default SCST group, there are four paths to every drive.

Windows says it can do round-robin load balancing with its
multipathing layer, and I see both initiator ports in use, but only
one target port in use.  If I pull the target port that's in use, I'd
expect the other target port to kick-in, instead, even after replacing
the port, some of the drives didn't recover, after rebooting; data was lost.

Keeping two distinct paths (i.e two switches or direct-connected
ports), the behavior was better.

Windows multipathing layer allows for a ".inf" file describing the
interface.  I'm not sure what goes into this, but if somebody has one
for SRP, would you be able to share it?

Thanks,

Chris