[ofw] patch: [ibbus] Add A new function to IBAL that allows one to create a multicast group without attaching a QP to it.

Fab Tillier ftillier at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 10 16:29:24 PST 2011

Hi Tzachi,

If we're talking about refactoring IPoIB, I'd suggest looking at statically allocating the CQ and QP when the adapter is created, and only modifying the state based on various PnP events.  The fact that we have this shadow 'port' object that contains the IB resources, that gets blown away and recreated whenever some error is detected is painful.  It also causes the QPN (and hence the MAC) to change whenever an error occurs.  If we had the QP up front, the only reason we'd have to change it would be a catastrophic failure, in which case a MAC address change would IMO be acceptable.

I think we could reduce the number of PnP events we need to handle if we allocated resource once, up front.  We'd have to handle port state changes and SM reregister.  Are there any others?  If these are the only events we need, we could get them directly from the HCA driver via the RDMA interface, and avoid all IBAL PnP interactions?

Thoughts?
-Fab