[ofw] Doing queries on subnet every 30 seconds

Smith, Stan stan.smith at intel.com
Wed Jun 1 10:05:43 PDT 2011

>>   Your idea of IOC scanning on the bus driver occurrence of
>> IRP_MN_QUERY_DEVICE_RELATIONS has merit, might you suggest a filter as
>> there are at least 8 occurrences during a reboot?
>
>Any idea why there are so many?  Are they all of Type=BusRelations?  Do we trigger these by reporting a device relations change (via a call
>to IoInvaliateDeviceRelations)?

During boot,  all IRP_MN_QUERY_DEVICE_RELATIONS queries are of the type  __query_device_relations(): BusRelations for IODEVICE

No log evidence of IoInvalidateDeviceRelation calls?

Not clear as to why there are so many QUERY_DEVICE_RELATIONS, sans one per port? In this case a single InfiniHost HCA with 1 connected port of 2.

Did figure out that 2 IRP_MN_ functions of IRP_MJ_PNP are not handled.

  IRP_MN_QUERY_LEGACY_BUS_RELATIONS - not clear what the impact is on not supporting this?

  IRP_MN_DEVICE_ENUMERATED - win7 only, appears to signify a PDO is now valid to be used in kernel calls requiring a PDO arg; prior to this call said routines will bugcheck win7.

>> An invocation of
>> 'devcon rescan' invokes 3 separate IRP_MN_QUERY_DEVICE_RELATIONS.
>
>Are these all of the same type (Type=BusRelations)?

Yes.

WinDbg console logs attached.