[ofw] partial review of mlx4 branch

Hefty, Sean sean.hefty at intel.com
Tue Oct 18 09:10:47 PDT 2011

> I'll work on this and submit a patch at some point.  I have something
> rudimentary prototyped but need to polish it up.  How strongly do people feel
> about manipulating path records in user-mode? My current direction has the
> paths entirely managed in the kernel (including caching), since path records
> are IB-specific and don't apply to RoCE or iWARP (yes, I'm still hoping some
> iWARP vendors join the project, <sigh>).

You're trying to add a protection against access to path records that really doesn't matter.  As long as users can allocate and manually transition QP states, where path records are kept doesn't matter.  A privileged user space service would be a better place to cache and manage path records given large fabrics and the complexities of trying to handle QoS requirements.