[ofw] Name resolution in WinVerbs/Multiple cards in one machine

Hefty, Sean sean.hefty at intel.com
Fri Jan 27 10:18:12 PST 2012

> I fixed the network so far that this part seems to work again. I also looked
> into the implementation of TranslateAddress() in the meantime and have
> understood what it is doing. However, the problem with UAC remains. I need to
> run my program in elevated mode to work. Otherwise BindAddress() returns
> E_ACCESSDENIED. If I call TranslateAddress() directly, it does so, too. It
> seems that it cannot open the device object. On the other hand, calling e. g.
> OpenDevice() directly works perfectly without elevation. It seems that in the
> former case, WinVerbs cannot open the device object for making the IOCTL calls
> for some reason. As the problem does not occur with all calls, I assume that I
> have a problem with the order of my API calls or so. Is there anything special
> to look for? I create a provider, a  connect end point and then BindAddress(),
> which explodes.

Btw - depending on the port number that you're trying to bind to, you may need administrative privileges.  It sounds like there may be a permission issue with the 'ibat' (IB translation) file that is used to implement these calls.  Someone more familiar with ipoib would need to look into that however.