[ofw] WinVerbs address translation required administrative privileges

Christoph Müller christoph.mueller at visus.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Jul 18 03:00:53 PDT 2012

Hi Sean,

as I had more urgent things to do, it took me some time doing your test. I now have upgraded my machines to 3.1 GA, which also took some time as it required a firmware upgrade, but the problem persists in exactly the same way. If I create an RDMA end point as user it fails, as administrator it works. I have also the problem that the RDMA functions do not return useful return codes (is this normal?), so everything is just a guess based on the driver code from SVN and playing around with it.

[...]

> If the printip test is included in the OFED release, that could be run to see if
> the permission issue is specific to IBAT, rather than some interaction
> between winverbs and ibat.  The following code in ipoib is where the ibat file
> gets created.

printip is included and I have tested it. From what I see, it works:

C:\Program Files\OFED>PrintIP.exe lip 192.168.220.250
Found 1 IP active ports
0: ca guid 0x2c9030010d2a8 port guid 0x2c9030010d2a9  [192.168.219.250]

[...]

> Note that the default SDDL string is set to NULL.  Is there a registry setting for
> ipoib (possibly inherited from NDIS or somewhere else) that gets used if the
> SDDL is NULL?

Unfortunately, I do not have sufficient knowledge to understand what I should do with this information. If you have more detailed instruction on what to do, I have no problem trying it. I might also be able to able to attach a kernel debugger to the machine, but I would need some information on what I need to build and how to install my own build.

Best regards,
Christoph