[ofw] Current recommended APIs for kernel and user

Jan_Bottorff at Dell.com Jan_Bottorff at Dell.com
Mon Apr 22 15:07:51 PDT 2013

Hi,

We are working on a project that involves both kernel and user mode code communicating over Mellanox adapters (RoCE mode) on Windows Server 2012. We do need to interoperate with Linux. This is for a commercial datacenter product.

I see there are multiple APIs that can be used, and am wondering what the OFW team is currently recommending for new code?

It seems like the options include: NDv1, NDv2, IBAL, WinVerbs, libibverbs. Compatibility with preexisting Linux code is useful, but having maximum performance likely is more important. It seems like NDv1/NDv2 is officially supported by Microsoft in user mode, and there currently is no officially supported Microsoft kernel RDMA API.

I also see the release notes for the upcoming OFW release say it doesn't support Server 2012 or RoCE, and would like to know if there is a target date for supporting these.

If this is a FAQ could someone please point me at the FAQ page.

Thanks,
Jan Bottorff