[Tutorial-working-group] Oracle VirtualBox with Ubuntu 18.10 and softRoCE

Davis, Arlin R arlin.r.davis at intel.com
Thu Jan 3 10:46:18 PST 2019

All,

I had one of my developers give it a quick try on an Intel build laptop (Windows 10 Enterprise). Initial testing with rxe looked fine with both Ubuntu 18.10 (4.18) and 18.04.1 (4.15). The verbs tests worked on both but we did see some issues with libfabric-verbs on 18.10 using fi_pingpong.

Note: any VM will need Hyper-V disabled to run. At Intel it required IT to disable on our laptop builds.

Here is a BKM from my developer for reference:

create 2 drives each 10G to mount to / and /home
set up network/firefox proxies (if needed)
set root passwd just in case
set NOPASSWD: in sudoers
set Acquire::http::Proxy "http://proxy_server:port"; and
    Acquire::https::Proxy "https://proxy_server:port";
  in a /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ file

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

#--- if you want to build your own kernel but not needed with ubuntu 18.04.1
sudo apt install -y git make gcc bison flex libelf-dev libssl.dev
git clone https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
cd linux
git reset --hard v4.19 (or latest stable tag)
cp /boot/config* .confg
make && sudo make modules_install install
reboot
#----

sudo apt install -y rdmacm-utils librdmacm-dev libibverbs-dev ibverbs-utils
sudo apt install -y perftest rdma-core libfabrics-dev libfabric1

sudo modprobe rdma_rxe
sudo rxe_cfg add enp0s3 #or whatever the Ethernet device name is

server                          client

ib_read_bw                      ib_read_bw localhost

fi_pingpong -p verbs -e rdm     fi_pingpong -p verbs -e rdm localhost