[Users] Ubuntu Questions

Narayan Desai narayan.desai at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 07:50:28 PDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 8:56 AM, Rupert Dance <rsdance at soft-forge.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We are working with Canonical at the OFA Interop Event and they are working
> to fully support RDMA functionality on 12.4 and 12.10. They would like to
> get some feedback from the user community regarding the demand for the
> following features. Please let me know if you are using it or would you find
> this useful if it was fully supported.
>

> 1.      DHCP over IPoIB
>
> 2.      Boot over IB
>
> 3.      Interface renaming – for example change ib0 to Storage-Cluster or
> change eth2 to eth3

None of these features are particularly important to us. We had to do
a bunch of work to build newer versions of tools and libraries for
ubuntu (available here:
https://launchpad.net/~narayan-desai/+archive/infiniband ) because the
versions included with ubuntu are ancient. (particularly
infiniband-diags and opensm) I think that fixing this is one of the
most important things that Canonical could do; keeping versions
available from ubuntu up to date is critical in helping new users on
Ubuntu get up and running quickly.

Another important aspect is making sure that vendor drivers work
properly. One of the larger difficulties that we continue to have is
that we can't figure out what is needed from Mellanox OFED in order to
make more exotic hardware (like the BridgeX) work properly. I'd assume
similar difficulties exist with other custom vendor driver distros as
well.

I'm happy to provide more specifics if it would be helpful.
 -nld