[Users] Two Mellanox InfiniHost III Ex cards in one server ?

Bogdan Harjoc harjoc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 10:58:49 PDT 2013

Hello,

I'm trying to track down a problem where two cards, when inserted
separately in a standard Dell Optiplex 990 server, function properly, but
when plugging them both in, the system doesn't make it past the BIOS screen.

The actual model is MHEA28-1TC (identical InfiniHost III Ex cards), I have
one 16x PCI-Express slot (for the GPU) and one x8 slot. The board is
standard dell OEM, integrated GPU (core i7), integrated Gbit ethernet, 4GB
of DDR3 1333MHz ram, no other devices (not even hard disks).

Has anyone had experience with two cards in one server ? Should I give up ?
Would a BIOS update help ? (I've tried three DELL servers, two Optiplex 990
servers and a 790 one).

Thanks,
Bogdan