[Users] /dev/.../umad permissions

John Valdes valdes at anl.gov
Wed Feb 27 16:52:42 PST 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 04:40:30PM -0800, Ira Weiny wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:37:24 -0600 John Valdes <valdes at anl.gov> wrote:
> >
> > It's too bad the extended port counters aren't exposed under /sys (eg,
> > in /sys/class/infiniband/mlx4_0/ports/1/counters), as those are
> > directly readable by anyone and don't require any network
> > communication to read.
>
> Actually, are you sure those counters are not 64bits wide?  The driver may be exporting the 64bit versions.  But I am not sure.

Unfortunately no:

  prompt> cat /sys/class/infiniband/mlx4_0/ports/1/counters/port_xmit_data
  4294967295
  prompt> cat /sys/class/infiniband/qib0/ports/1/counters/port_xmit_data
  4294967295

It had actually been a while (a couple of years...) since I had last
checked those, but I did check anew before emailing my lament. :)
I'm using the drivers included with RedHat's OFED 1.5.x builds
bundled with RHEL 5.9 and RHEL 6.3, btw, in case that makes a
difference.

John