[Users] connect Mellanox IB FDR adapter to QLogic IB QDR switch?

Marko Kobal marko.kobal at arctur.si
Wed Jun 12 08:12:56 PDT 2013

Hi,

I have a IBM iDataPlex cluster with QLogic IB QDR switches (QLogic 12200
(iDPx) 36-port QDR InfiniBand Switch), currently there are servers with
QLogic QME7342 QDR HCA adapters connected to those IB switches ... all
is playing nice.

Recently I've got a couple of Mellanox IB FDR adapters (MT27500 Family
[ConnectX-3]) and I would like them play nicely with existing IB network
since I would like to do some research with Mellanox adapters.

On last Thursday (5 days ago) I've installed one FDR Mellanox adapter in
one of the servers (replaced QLogic QDR adapter) and connected it to the
QDR QLogic IB switch. Other servers with QDR QLogic adapters are also
connected to the switch and are playing nicely. Mellanox FDR Adapter was
detected by the server and OS (centos6), latest ofed installed. After
reboot IB diag tools showed link is down, adapter's leds were off ... I
didn't have time to play with it so I left it as it was. Yesterday I
checked the status once again and I found out that the link is now
(State: Active; Physical state: LinkUp; Rate: 40) ... so this looks
fine. Today I went ahead and installed adapters in additional two
servers and I see the same situation - link is down, adapter's leds were
off ...

Is it possible that link initialization is taking sooo long (it is now
more then one hour since I connected the adapters with the switch)? Is
there any "magic" to force the initialization/connection or to persuade
Mellanox FDR adapter to go directly to QDR speed?

Has anybody got any experiences in mixing QDR and FDR IB, especially
connecting Mellanox FDR adapters to QLogic QDR IB switches? Thanks for help!

--
Kind regards, Marko Kobal