[Users] HP BLc QLogic 4X QDR IB Switch oddness

John Valdes valdes at anl.gov
Fri May 24 18:19:40 PDT 2013

Andrei Mikhailovsky wrote:
> John Valdes wrote:
> > What's the physical topology of the IB network between the blade
> > servers and the switch?
>
> AM: I am not really sure. The servers do have the IB mezzanine card and from what i've read it is a pci-e card. I am unsure how the blade servers are connected to the switch. I guess it's an internal HP/QLogic interconnect.

Found some docs on Intel's website at:
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/network/ts-fbs12100
>From that, it looks like the topology is very simple; the switch
installs in a slot in the blade chassis, and it looks like it has 16
internal (through the backplane of the chassis) IB connections, one
to each blade server in the chassis, plus 16 external QSFP ports.

I was thinking maybe there was something odd in the topology that
was causing the subnet manager to fail to negotiate link properly w/
the blade servers.  It doesn't sound like that's the case.

Does "perfquery" report errors on the blade servers' HCA port?  How
about on the (internal) ports on the switch that connect to the blade
servers?  To check, give perfquery the lid of the device you want to
check (either the server's lid or the switch's lid) and the port
number to check (that should always be 1 for the servers, and the
corresponding switch port number for the switch, 1 through 16 or 17
through 32 depending on which are the internal ports and which are the
external.  "ibnetdiscover" should tell you what servers are connected
to what ports on the switch.

John