[Users] High Availability Configuration

Indivar Nair indivar.nair at techterra.in
Mon Jun 16 05:06:48 PDT 2014

Hi ...,

In the setup that I am designing, I just need 1 more additional port on the
switches.
So I was wondering whether the following design would work.

*HCA1 and 2 are bonded* on both nodes
*Host 1                                                              Host 2*

-------------                     ----------------
-------------
| HCA 1 |------------------->| Switch A |------- x ------->| HCA 1  |
-------------                     ----------------
-------------
-------------                     ----------------
-------------
| HCA 2 |------------------->| Switch B |------------------->| HCA 2 |
-------------                     ----------------
-------------
*Host 1                                                              Host 2*

Sender                                                             Receiver
*HCA1 and 2 are bonded* on both nodes

*Switch A and B are not connected.*

Say, Host1-HCA1 is sending data to Host2-HCA1, when there is a link failure
between Switch A and Host2-HCA1. Will the configuration automatically
detect this and continue sending the data through Host1-HCA2 to Host2-HCA2
through Switch B?

Also, since the both the switches are bonded, and the subnet manager is
running on any one host,will this be considered a single fabric?

Any insights would be helpful.

Regards,

Indivar Nair