[Users] strategies for bridging IB networks

Chris Hunter chris.hunter at yale.edu
Mon Dec 14 07:56:44 PST 2015

Hi,
We have been using IB in our datacenter for quite some time. As a result
we have built up a collection of non-homogeneous IB networks. Going
forward we are trying to merge various isolated networks together.

To give an example, we have 3 separate IB networks, each is fat-tree
topology:

S. storage network with a single 36port QDR IB switch connected to 20
storage servers

A. non-blocking client network with 2 director class QDR switches
connected to QDR bladechassis switches

B. blocking (4-1 oversubscribed) client network with 36port FDR
top-of-rack switches connected to a director class FDR switch

Given practical limits (cable lengths, port counts) we *don't* want to
re-cable everything to build a single fat-tree network.

So our question, what are strategies for connecting together fat-tree
networks together (without re-cabling)?

Ideally we want to minimize congestion, use predictable routing (ie.
through the director switches), etc.

We are considering:
- partitions/virtual fabrics; not clear this will help routing but
should help congestion
- connect IB networks at the switches; this will create an "unbalanced
tree" but hopefully routing will be sane

Any feedback appreciated,
chris hunter
chris.hunter at yale.edu