[Users] IB topology config and polling state

German Anders ganders at despegar.com
Wed Oct 7 07:37:37 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I don't know if this is the mailist list for this kind of topic but I'm
really new to IB and I've just install two SX6036G gateways connected to
each other through two ISL ports, then I've configured a proxy-arp between
both nodes (sm is disable on both gw's):

GWIB01 [proxy-ha-group: master] (config) # show proxy-arp ha

Load balancing algorithm: ib-base-ip
Number of Proxy-Arp interfaces: 1

Proxy-ARP VIP
=============
Pra-group name: proxy-ha-group
HA VIP address: 10.xx.xx.xx/xx

Active nodes:
ID                   State                IP
GWIB01               master               10.xx.xx.xx1
GWIB02               standby              10.xx.xx.xx2

Then I setup two SX6018F switches (*SWIB01* and *SWIB02*), one connected to
GWIB01 and the other connected to GWIB02. The SM is configured locally on
both SWIB01 & SWIB02 switches. So far so good, after this config I setup a
commodity server with a MLNX IB ADPT FDR to the SWIB01 & SWIB02 switches,
config the drivers, etc and then get it up & running fine.

Finally I've setup a HP Enclosure with an internal IB SW (then connect port
1 of the internal SW to GWIB01 - link is up but LLR status is inactive),
install one of the blades and I see the following:

# ibstat
CA 'qib0'
    CA type: InfiniPath_QMH7342
    Number of ports: 2
    Firmware version:
    Hardware version: 2
    Node GUID: 0x0011750000791fec
    System image GUID: 0x0011750000791fec
    Port 1:
        State: Down
        Physical state: Polling
        Rate: 40
        Base lid: 4660
        LMC: 0
        SM lid: 4660
        Capability mask: 0x0761086a
        Port GUID: 0x0011750000791fec
        Link layer: InfiniBand
    Port 2:
        State: Down
        Physical state: Polling
        Rate: 40
        Base lid: 4660
        LMC: 0
        SM lid: 4660
        Capability mask: 0x0761086a
        Port GUID: 0x0011750000791fed
        Link layer: InfiniBand

So I was wondering if maybe the SM is not being recognized on the Blade
system and that's why is not passing the Polling state, is that possible?
Or maybe is not possible to connect an ISL between the GW and the HP
internal SW so that the sm is available or maybe the inactive LLR is
causing this thing, any ideas? I thought about connecting the ISL of the HP
IB SW to the SWIB01 or SWIB02 instead of the GW's but I don't have any
available ports.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

*German* <ganders at despegar.com>