[Users] Performance issue with FDR & Ubuntu

German Anders ganders at despegar.com
Tue Jan 12 04:10:05 PST 2016

Hi Susan/Rupert, first I want to thank you both for the responses.
   Regarding the tests, the thing about ib_write_bw or ib_read_bw is that
it used underneath RDMA, so the adapter maps a connection directly to a
memory location in each host. After the IP session gets established, the
RDMA API bypasses the IP stack in the host and copies the data directly
from, let's say host1 memory to host2 memory. This bypasses the IP stack,
kernel and other networking layers.
   So the RDMA connection is made at the HW level and indicates what the HW
is capable of, in these kind of test I'm getting almost 50Gb/s, so it
rocks! :). However, the iperf tests indicates what the OS and IP layers are
capable of, so that's why iperf will lead to different results. Also,
besides the PCIe gen2 or 3 is used the IP stack took some performance from
that and that's why is not getting the "best" values compared to RDMA.
Notice that I'm also using PCIe v3 so with iperf I can't get more than
24Gb/s really don't know why.

Best,

*German*