[Users] Error : Missing master SM in the discover fabric

Kenja, Krishna (kenjakt) kenjakt at mail.uc.edu
Tue May 2 13:28:03 PDT 2017

I have an infiniband network up and running between two linux boxes through a switch. But when I reboot the system on which the subnet manager is running, the lights on the switch turn orange. Running 'ibdiagnet' on the box with subnet manger showed me the following error.

-I- Bad Fabric SM Info
-E- Missing master SM in the discover fabric

Running opensm or restarting opensm service fixes this, but I am unable to understand why I am having this problem in the first place and restarting the opensm service after every reboot is obviously not a practical solution. Can some one please point me in the right direction as to what the issue might be here.

Thanks
Krishna