[Users] ofed 4.8.1: opemsm infiniband-diags build time circular dependency?

Hal Rosenstock hal.rosenstock at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 03:52:39 PST 2017

Hi Dagg,

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 3:44 AM, daggs <daggs at gmx.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I need to build a local version of opensm and infiniband-diags to bringup
> a mlx based fabric.

Why do you need a local version to do this ? Do you plan on making
modifications for this fabric or just want to run these tools on that
fabric where some machine is attached to multiple disjoint fabrics/subnets
?

Anyhow, there is --prefix option to configure where things are installed.

Note also that before running OpenSM, you need to configure things in the
options/conf file  so it does not step on various files that your primary
OpenSM.

> I'm not using rpm based distro so I need to compile the code myself.

Are you looking to build specific versions or from latest source ? There
are tar balls for the specific versions and the latest sources are
available in various git repos.

I've looked into the build dependencies of the two pkgs mentioned above, I
> both state that I need libibumad-devel, first glance on the tar file
> reveals there is no libibumad rpm.

libibumad is needed for both infiniband-diags and OpenSM. It must be built
and installed first.

Recently, libibmad was incorporated into infiniband-diags so it depends on
which version you want to use as to whether you need to build libibmad
separately and priot to infiniband-diags, which should be built last.

> so I've looked into the other rpms and found it inside of infiniband-diags.
> looking on the build dependencies of infiniband-diags shows it needs
> opensm thus creating a circular dependency issue.

infiniband-diags depends on some things like node-name-map support and
ib_types.h so OpenSM needs to be built next and finally
libibmad/infiniband-diags last.

> how can I build both packages? I cannot install any old versions on there
> pkgs.

Not sure what you mean by the last statement "can't install any old
versions on there pkgs".

-- Hal