[Users] ofed 4.8.1: opemsm infiniband-diags build time circular dependency?

Hal Rosenstock hal.rosenstock at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 07:22:10 PST 2017

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 9:57 AM, daggs <daggs at gmx.com> wrote:

> Greetings Hal,
>
> >Hi Dagg,
> >
> >On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 3:44 AM, daggs <daggs at gmx.com[mailto:daggs@
> gmx.com]> wrote:Greetings,
> >
> >>I need to build a local version of opensm and infiniband-diags to
> bringup a mlx based fabric.
> >
> >Why do you need a local version to do this ? Do you plan on making
> modifications for this fabric or just want to run these tools on that
> fabric where some machine is attached to >multiple disjoint fabrics/subnets
> ?
> mainly because the distro I use doesn't have the 4.8.1 in its repo, in
> addition as I don't have root permissions, I'm to install it on to my home
> folder.

By default, you're going to need to be root to run any of these tools
unless the admin changes udev permissions for umad things so even if you
get things built they will not run unless the admin has made umad things
accessible more widely than root.

> >Anyhow, there is --prefix option to configure where things are installed.
> my apologies, not sure how --prefix can help my issue.

Look at configure --help for things like:
Installation directories:
  --prefix=PREFIX         install architecture-independent files in PREFIX
                          [/usr/local]
  --exec-prefix=EPREFIX   install architecture-dependent files in EPREFIX
                          [PREFIX]

Fine tuning of the installation directories:

> >Note also that before running OpenSM, you need to configure things in the
> options/conf file  so it does not step on various files that your primary
> OpenSM.
> I know, thing is, if I run configure on opensm it complains that libumand
> is missing.
> if I run configure on infiniband-diags, it complains opensm is missing.

So first issue is to determine why it thinks libibumad is missing.

> >>I'm not using rpm based distro so I need to compile the code myself.
> >
> >Are you looking to build specific versions or from latest source ? There
> are tar balls for the specific versions and the latest sources are
> available in various git repos.
> I've searched ofed download on google, got to the ofed alliance web page,
> clicked download,and selected 4.8.1 from the folder (latest rc).

Oh, you're talking about OFED. I think OFED ships sources as well as rpms.
So you should be able to build from the sources there. I haven't tried this
with OFED. I know it has install script and not sure what options would be
needed or whether some additional procedure would be needed. The email list
for that is ewg at lists.openfabrics.org although there might be some
people on that list who are lurking on this one.

> >>I've looked into the build dependencies of the two pkgs mentioned above,
> I both state that I need libibumad-devel, first glance on the tar file
> reveals there is no libibumad rpm.
> >
> >libibumad is needed for both infiniband-diags and OpenSM. It must be
> built and installed first.
> >
> >Recently, libibmad was incorporated into infiniband-diags so it depends
> on which version you want to use as to whether you need to build libibmad
> separately and priot to >infiniband->diags, which should be built last.
> >>so I've looked into the other rpms and found it inside of
> infiniband-diags.
> >>looking on the build dependencies of infiniband-diags shows it needs
> opensm thus creating a circular dependency issue.
> >
> >infiniband-diags depends on some things like node-name-map support and
> ib_types.h so OpenSM needs to be built next and finally
> libibmad/infiniband-diags last.
> that is my question, how can I build libibumad when it merged into
> infiniband-diags? is there a specific target?

No; libibmad is merged into infiniband-diags. libibumad is different from
libibmad. I believe OFED 4.8.1 ships libibumad and rdma-core (which also
includes libibumad - a newer one) but not sure.

-- Hal