[openfabrics-ewg] OFED 1.1-rc2 is ready

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Sun Aug 27 07:51:08 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-08-26 at 22:42 +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> Quoting r. Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>:
> > IOW, make use of the infrastructure
> > provided in U4 instead of working around it.
>
> Sorry, I don't really understand what you suggest here.
> Could you give us an example please?

Sure.  The stock 2.6.9 kernel doesn't include kzalloc() or kstrdup().
However, both of those exist in the Red Hat RHEL4 U3 and later kernels
(yeah, I know, there isn't an easy way to know this, but unless you just
*need* to support a U2 or earlier kernel, then you can just assume Red
Hat has this).  Likewise, the U4 and later kernels have the proper class
functions in the core kernel so you don't need small backports of stuff
like class_create in the uverbs_main patch.  Ditto for the get_sb_psuedo
in the core patch.  Ditto for a number of things in the ipath backports.
Ditto for quite a few other things as well.  In general, there's less
need to backport under RHEL4 U4 than previously, and where possible it
would be best to make use of the core kernel's enhancements relative to
a stock 2.6.9.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194