[openfabrics-ewg] ofed git layout ideas
Michael S. Tsirkin
mst at mellanox.co.il
Wed Oct 25 05:17:33 PDT 2006
Roland (as probably our most experienced git user), all, would like to ask
your ideas about ofed git layout.
Basically, here's what ofed kernel code needs to include:
- upstream kernel (we really only used the infiniband/rdma subdirectories
- ofed addons, including:
- "backport patches" - patches to infiniband directory to make it work on
- code for out of kernel modules (mostly experimental/debugging stuff)
- "fixes" - experimental/debugging additions for upstream modules
we also used this for last-minute fixes after code freeze,
to make it easier to roll changes back immediately in case of issues
- build, uverbs etc scripts
So, what we had for ofed 1.1, was a common git tree that had the addons and
additionally pulled from upstream from time to time. This means, however, that
life was harder for people working just on backports or just scripts as they always
had to check out the full linux tree.
So I wandered whether it would be cleaner to just have 2 git trees
- one for ofed addons
- another one tracking upstream that addons are tested to work against
The advantage would be that its easier to see what ofed adds on top of linux
kernel, and what kernel version ofed is based on, a disadvantage would be that
we how have 2 git checksums as ofed kernel identifiers, and not 1 as previously.
For users of release not much would change as we still can always tag both with
the same tag.
What do you think?
More information about the ewg