[openib-general] Some ib_mad.h Redirection Comments

Yaron Haviv yaronh at voltaire.com
Sat Aug 7 12:18:39 PDT 2004

On Saturday, August 07, 2004 1:52 AM, Roland Dreier wrote:
>     Yaron> I don't see what is the value in having every potential GSI
>     Yaron> client implement a common functionality of identifying it's
>     Yaron> a Redirect, and resending the request to the new location,
>     Yaron> why not just have the GSI layer do that common
>     Yaron> functionality for all the consumers ?  I think it is also
>     Yaron> trivial for the GSI to implement such functionality
>
> I think you're underestimating the amount of policy and complication
> involved in putting redirect handling in the common layer.  First of
> all the GSI layer would have to maintain a table indexed by (at
> least) class, destination and source address (since redirects may
> depend on the requester).  Then we have the problem of what to do if
> a redirected request times out -- should the common layer then
> automatically try resending the request to the original address?

If you think Redirect on the requestor side is not trivial, that is even
a better reason to put it in a common place rather than for every
potential client, from what I know it is already supported by the code
Hal posted to some degree, so it is achievable as well as we can use it
instead of re-inventing a new mechanism

Yaron