[openib-general] one request

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Tue Aug 24 10:18:56 PDT 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Roland Dreier wrote:

>     ron> tavor load fails on an ib_mad symbol, and if you load mad
>     ron> without loading tavor, then the interface list won't get
>     ron> initialized correctly. So what the ib_mad stuff does is
>     ron> demand-load the tavor driver about halfway through its module
>     ron> init.
>
> For a while I did have a request_module() of infiniband_hca in
> mad_main.c at the very end of initialization, to help people who
> forgot to load the ib_tavor module.  However that broke on 2.6 because
> it seems module symbols are not visible until init_module() has
> returned, so I took the request_module() out.  I don't think the
> request_module was ever halfway through initialization.

ah ha! yes, we're on 2.6, and yes, that request_module of infiniband_hca
is in there, and no, that is not at the very end any more, from my memory
of looking at this code 10 days ago.

And yes, your description of the behavior is close to what we're seeing. I
guess it's old code.

> You can look at the gen1 tree to see how things stood before we gave
> up on that development.

we're just trying to get gold cd running, and then once that's go we'll
have a 'working' stack for users, at which point we move to gen2 for the
real long-term code.

thanks again, Roland, you cleared some things up for me.

ron