[openib-general] DAPL for openib

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Wed Aug 25 09:36:42 PDT 2004

    Yaron> Any reason to keep the same registration API for both SMA
    Yaron> (QP0) and GSI ?  There is very little in common between the
    Yaron> two, beside the fact that both use MAD's

No reason they have to be the same, but on the other hand I think we
need a good reason to split the API, since some consumers will want
both QP0 and QP1 MADs (eg low-level driver implements both SMA and
PMA, subnet manager needs both SM and SA, etc).

Also, most of the QP0/QP1 handling code should probably be shared.  It
seems creating PD, creating CQs, registering memory, creating special
QPs, moving QP reset->init->rtr->rts, allocating receive buffers and
posting receives, queuing and posting sends, processing completion
events and CQ entries, etc. can all be done in common code.  So if we
want separate GSI and SMI implementations, then we should probably
work on an API for this common MAD layer so that it can be abstracted
and used by both the GSI and SMI.

 - Roland