[openib-general] DAPL for openib

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Wed Aug 25 13:21:41 PDT 2004

Quoting r. Roland Dreier (roland at topspin.com) "Re: [openib-general] DAPL for openib":
>     Michael> I'm not sure I understand the semantics - if SMA simply
>     Michael> registers without supplying version, class or method,
>     Michael> will it get to see all MADs?
>
> In the OpenIB MAD API each MAD can be dispatched to only one
> consumer.  So if the SMA sees all MADs by registering this way, no
> other consumer would be able to receive MADs.

Pity.
Is this dictated by difficulty of implementation?

Maybe have something like linux probe function -
in linux device driver model after device matches
class vendor and device id parameters specified by the
driver, and probe function  is called to make it possible
for driver to decide if it wants to handle this device based on other
fields.

In the same vein, for each MAD API cold probe matching consumers
and let them examine the MAD until one says "its mine".

So SMA could just refuse all MADs.

MST