[openib-general] DAPL for openib

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Wed Aug 25 13:38:08 PDT 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:44:21 +0300
"Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst at mellanox.co.il> wrote:

> Sorry, I just noticed this is being addressed already:
>
>  From contrib/intel/TODO:
>
>   - Need to extend ib_mad_reg_req to support snooping.
>     could use masks for class, version, methods to snoop all.
>     could add a registration type - receive MADs vs. view MADs.
>     registration for view MADs would need to apply to sends as well.
>
>  view MAD would solve the SMA issue , right?

At the core of the issue is who owns the buffer, along with who should respond to an unsolicited MAD.  In order to support zero-copy send/receives, registration for unsolicited MADs needs to be unique.  The view option mentioned should allow a client to see the MAD, but the client doesn't own the buffer.