[openib-general] VAPI programming question

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Thu Aug 26 07:59:08 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 10:39, mvonwyl at bluewin.ch wrote:
> >It sounds like you want to use the CM (either the connection protocol or
> >SIDR, depending on what you're trying to do).  The CM uses the GSI, so if
> >the GSI works for you, I'd say go ahead and use it, even if you aren't using
> >the CM protocol currently.
>
> It seems that the gsi is always busy when trying to get it with the VAPI.

Not sure what you mean by this. Are you trying to get special QP1 and
that is what is "busy" ? I think that is because there can be only one
owner of QP1. There needs to be/is demultiplexing on QP1 to the various
GSI clients (CM, SA, SA client, etc.).

> If I use the CM to do that I must register the server's qp to the Subnet
> Administrator and perform a request with the client to receive a list from
> the SA that contain all the qp that match some properties, right?

That's what SA service records are for. The server registers its service
with the SA. The client can then use some service ID/name to find the
server GID, then lookup the path record, and then either initiate the
connection or use SIDR to find the UD QPN. If you already know the
server GID you can skip the first step.

> It looks like a little be complicate with the CM API but I'll give it a try.
>
> Someone knows where I can find a good CM API specification?

What CM are you using ?

-- Hal