[openib-general] Should I use umad -or- osm

Philip Mucci mucci at cs.utk.edu
Thu Dec 9 05:24:43 PST 2004

Hi folks,

I've been tasked with developing a rough performance tool for IB
networks. I've scanned the documentation and looks like the kind of data
we're interested in can be obtained from the Mellanox ASICs.

My question is a simple one:

I've got to send/recv mads to enable and obtain the performance counters
from a user space tool...ideally non-root, but we'll work with what we
have.

My current inclination has been to use the osm_vendor_api.h functions to
do this work. However, the late work here done by Hal on the UMAD access
layer seems to be appropriate as well.

Could someone elaborate on what you think the best (and most
maintainable) approach to accomplishing this task might be?

Regards,

Philip