[openib-general] CM header file

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Fri Dec 17 09:39:24 PST 2004

Roland Dreier wrote:

>     Frank> What about: * CM creates the QP when necessary, unless the
>     Frank> app provides one.
>
>     Grant> Sorry, I can't get enthusiastic about this idea.  It adds
>     Grant> complexity and code where it's usually not required.  If
>     Grant> someone wants to another layer of inline code that handles
>     Grant> the allocation for the caller (and deallocation when it's
>     Grant> done), that's works for me.  But it shouldn't be part of
>     Grant> the basic design.
>
> I agree.  In the original design of the Topspin drivers, we had the CM
> handle allocating and freeing QPs.  However it leads to all sorts of
> object lifetime issues and ends up as more trouble than it's worth.

I agree with Grant and Roland.  Again, I believe that the initial CM
should be fairly focused on what it does.  If more advanced features
are desired, then a separate module should be layered on top of this
one.  That doesn't mean that those features can't be in the openib
stack, I just don't think they necessarily belong in the lower layers.

I do want to continue collecting feedback, to make sure that nothing
that should be part of this layer gets missed.