[openib-general] CM header file

Libor Michalek libor at topspin.com
Fri Dec 17 11:38:53 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 08:53:15AM -0800, Roland Dreier wrote:
>     Frank> What about: * CM creates the QP when necessary, unless the
>     Frank> app provides one.
>
>     Grant> Sorry, I can't get enthusiastic about this idea.  It adds
>     Grant> complexity and code where it's usually not required.  If
>     Grant> someone wants to another layer of inline code that handles
>     Grant> the allocation for the caller (and deallocation when it's
>     Grant> done), that's works for me.  But it shouldn't be part of
>     Grant> the basic design.
>
> I agree.  In the original design of the Topspin drivers, we had the CM
> handle allocating and freeing QPs.  However it leads to all sorts of
> object lifetime issues and ends up as more trouble than it's worth.

  True. It resulted in numerous race conditions revolving around object
lifetime, as a result most of the software that used the CM ended up
using it in consumer provided QP mode. At the time of the design I was
the biggest proponent for having CM allocated QPs, but in retrospect it
was a bad idea.

-Libor