[openib-general] osm

Tom Duffy Tom.Duffy at Sun.COM
Thu Dec 23 14:41:46 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 14:35 -0800, Roland Dreier wrote:
>     Tom> Or will it just open the device based off of major minor from
>     Tom> /sys/class/infiniband_mad/umad0/dev?
>
> Looks like right now it is hard coded in libumad/umad.c.

OK, I see now...

> However
> there's no way for userspace to open a device just based off
> major/minor -- you need a device node.

I didn't know that.  OK, I will change my local copy of umad.c to open
my devices.

>     Tom> Roland, do you absolutely need the KERNEL="umad*",
>     Tom> NAME="infiniband/%k" rule in udev?
>
> I'm not a udev expert by any stretch of the imagination, but how else
> does udev know to create devices?

I think it defaults to put them in /dev/.  When I modprobe ib_umad, I
get them installed:

[root at flopteron2 bin]# rmmod ib_umad
[root at flopteron2 bin]# ls -l /dev/umad*
ls: /dev/umad*: No such file or directory
[root at flopteron2 bin]# modprobe ib_umad
[root at flopteron2 bin]# ls -l /dev/umad*
crw-------  1 root root 253, 0 Dec 23 23:35 /dev/umad0
crw-------  1 root root 253, 1 Dec 23 23:35 /dev/umad1

-tduffy