[openib-general] Problem with userspace tree structure

shaharf shaharf at voltaire.com
Mon Dec 27 08:29:40 PST 2004

> I think gnome is a pretty good parallel, because the contents of
> userspace/ are really separate projects, with different sets of
> developers and different maintainers.  Having one main makefile is
> confusing for users and packagers, and the current scheme is also
> error prone, since it's hard to maintain correct cross-package
> dependencies (for example, touch include/common.h, run make, and watch
> binaries that depend on it such as mad_test fail to get rebuilt).
>
>  - Roland

I am not sure everything in usermode is separate project. For example,
osm, util, lib* do belong to the same package. The dependencies argument
is for handling everything under the same root. You are correct about
the remake problem, but this is just a bug - forgot to include the
.depend file - it is fixed now. You have a point that there may be some
directories that should be separate projects (even if not independent).
When we will have such projects, we should re-structure the tree. If you
think it is very important to have such multi trees environment right
from the start, I don't really care (it is just one more directory name
to type) as long as everything required by the opensm can be made by a
single make.

Shahar