[openib-general] Re: More on IPoIB Multicast

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Tue Nov 9 09:07:06 PST 2004

    Hal> Hi Roland, If a multicast send is attempted and the node is
    Hal> not joined to the multicast group which is the destination of
    Hal> the send, a send only join (which is neutered due to lack of
    Hal> SM support) is assumed. Is my understanding correct ?

Yes.

    Hal> Linux also supports multicast routing. For this case, I think
    Hal> a non member join is needed. I'm not sure how to detect which
    Hal> of the join cases to use.

    Hal> Also, for multicast routing, the multicast group
    Hal> created/removed traps would need to be subscribed to (and the
    Hal> SM would need to support these).

Someone who understands how the kernel does multicast routing would
have to guide us here.

My goal is to get basic IPv4 cleaned up to the point I feel
comfortable submitting upstream.  However I'm very happy to have other
people look at IPv6, multicast routing, multiport bonding/failover
(although my feeling is that it would be better to extend the existing
bonding driver rather than trying to put this in the IPoIB driver), ....

 - R.