[openib-general] smpdump and current MAD layer

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Tue Nov 30 10:55:47 PST 2004

Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> Each received MAD can only have 1 client which "owns" it. That client is
> either determined via solicited routing or version/class/method (and
> soon OUI) routing.

This is correct.  This was done to avoid having to copy received MADs.

> So solicited MAD responses cannot currently be snooped nor can
> unsolicited ones for which an agent is registered (Since SMA and PMA are
> currently firmware based, the latter is not an issue for the current
> implementation).
>
> Is the above correct ? If so, do you see a "clean" way around this ?

This is something that was briefly discussed before.  I think that I
would support snooping by extending the ib_mad_reg_reg structure to
indicate a registration type, possibly along with some additional
filtering parameters.  (We could also create a new snoop routine.)

One issue with snooping MAD is whether the snooping occurs above or
below RMPP, or possibly in both places.