[openib-general] smpdump and current MAD layer

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Tue Nov 30 12:24:59 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 14:47, Sean Hefty wrote:
> I guess filtering can be done above the MAD layer,

That seems like the right way to go to me.

> so just letting the
> user specify the qp_type may be all that's needed, beyond indicating
> that snooping is desired.  If we go this route, we can probably support
> any number of snoopers.

Then there are really only 2 snoopers at the MAD level (SMI, GSI). Any
additional demux (snoopers) would be done above the MAD level.

> >>One issue with snooping MAD is whether the snooping occurs above or
> >>below RMPP, or possibly in both places.
> >
> > In general, I would think the GMP snooping would specify whether it is
> > to be done above or below RMPP and perhaps the class or all GS classes
> > (some combinations wouldn't make sense). I could see if one thought one
> > was having problems with RMPP handling doing it below RMPP and otherwise
> > above (the normal case).
>
> Hmm... we could let the client decide through the rmpp_version
> parameter.

I like it. Nothing new needed here. It's just a question of when to
implement above and below RMPP.

> Also, would snooping include redirected QPs?  I think that
> we can support this.

Once a QP is redirected, is the MAD layer still involved in handing off
the receive completions for that QP ?