[openib-general] Questions about SMI

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Wed Oct 13 03:45:05 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 18:57, Roland Dreier wrote:
> Do you mean that the mthca driver should snoop on receive completions
> on QP0 and look for traps with SLID==0?  This seems pretty awkward
> (since the MAD layer is going to lose those receive completions, how
> do we handle freeing the MAD memory, etc., etc) and doesn't really
> seem practical.  The last time we discussed this I thought we reached
> the conclusion that the MAD layer should give the low-level driver a
> look at every MAD before doing agent dispatch, eg:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.openib/4264

It seems like the thread ended with an unanswered question. The answer
appears to be that process_mad was used. Is that what we want to do for
OpenIB ?

Is this to be done for all MADs, all SMPs, or only certain ones ? If
certain ones, is there a flag to indicate which ones need to be fed to
the driver ?

Does that avoid the issue of more than 1 consumer for a particular MAD ?
That was another "rule" that I thought we achieved consensus on. It
looks like the consumed flag takes care of this.

Would there also need to be a send routine provided (by the MAD layer)
which does not require an agent registration ? If so, is there a way to
ensure that the driver is the only component to use this routine ?