[openib-general] ib_mad.c comments

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Mon Sep 13 09:51:05 PDT 2004

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 07:22:35 -0400
Hal Rosenstock <halr at voltaire.com> wrote:

> >     Sean> We should return the error code from ib_post_send in order
> >     Sean> to handle overruns differently.
> >
> > What did we decide about how to handle someone posting more sends than
> > the underlying work queue can hold?
>
> Last I recall, we deferred this issue. Maybe we should just defer the
> implementation but decide what should be done.

I believe that we agreed that queuing should be done within the access layer.  I don't think that we came to any conclusion about an implementation beyond that.

Personally, for an initial implementation, I'd just go with posting work requests, and generate completions for sends that cannot be posted.  This should be fairly trivial to implement, yet still work.

> On the send side but that's not the case on the receive side as there
> are posts for multiple QPs. Maybe there should be a list per QP and then
> this would be true which eliminates the need to walk the list. The
> implementation is rapidly heading towards this.

Yes, I'd go with a list per QP.